Saturday 22 December 2012

Nude Rain

Sitting with my chipped, chubby yellow cup, full of the black sweet.. 
I remember that time that Nude Rain came to the Violet Town market. 
It used to be that way, that people would come.
Cool people.
Happening people.
People you could look up to.

Nude Rain were these loose and hairy wild women who sang a capella in a fresh, hip way. With hoots, whistles and amazingly bad ass complex harmonies. It was unpretentious and not at all daggy, which a capella can sometimes be. 
They were kind of a big deal to a girl like me in the 90's and they had a bit of a moment there. 
They sounded cool and they looked cool, had little tattoos, nose piercing's, wore petticoats, didn't shave their legs and had extremely long -or short- hair.. They were at all sorts of folk festivals, jazz festivals, happenings and what not.. and, the Violet Town Market, once.

My friends and I, I think we were 11-12 at the time, all stood round  slack jawed, and soaked them and their 'coolness' up. 
We listened to them sing their crazy brand of humanist sound.. 
And we aspired.

They made an impression.

Who goes now to the market and inspires the young girls, in real time? And would they even respond to a group of cool hairy wild women the same way that we did then? (With reverence, aspiration and years later emulation..?) Would there BE an appreciation of such fun, outside the cookie cutter role models now?  

Anyway, I think this train of thought left the platform last night and arrived in my conscious this morn due to some late night Google wandering in which I was enjoying the output of Aluka, another voice - only outfit from Melbourne.

Check them out on fb, here
http://www.facebook.com/alukamusic 

Beautiful stuff.

I wonder if they feel like doing any trips up to a little country market I know.....


Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment